Synthetic Rattan Garden Furniture: What Are the Benefits?
Spring is coming...We can't believe January is over, the seemingly longest month of the year really lived up to expectations. In contrast, we can now look forward to the shortest month! However, this all means that winter is going to be done and dusted before we even know it. So what's next? Spring, of course. And we all know that as soon as we get the slightest inkling that spring is in the air, it's time to get those drinks and sit outside in the warming sun. We can picture it now...
Buying rattan garden furnitureNow, you're going to need some gorgeous garden furniture if you want to really enjoy spring as soon as it arrives. The most popular garden furniture material is, of course, rattan. Today, we want to talk about why you should consider buying synthetic rattan and what its benefits are. This is compared to natural rattan which some people may feel they'd prefer to invest in. However, read our guide as to why synthetic rattan can be a great material and consider the advantages!
The benefits of synthetic rattanOkay, so we're going to run you through a list of all the advantages of this particular type of rattan. They're not in any particular order, bear in mind. First up, we thought we'd discuss something we recently posted about on our blog!
1. longevityWe did say these points would be in no form of hierarchy but it's hard not to see this as one of the most important reasons to invest in synthetic rattan. Artificially produced rattan furniture has a much longer lifespan than its authentic counterpart. In our more in-depth blog post, we mentioned that synthetic garden furniture could last anywhere between 10 and 20 years.
2. weatherproof propertiesOkay, so this is kind of combining two points into one. But why does it last so much longer? Simply, because it's crafted to be UV resistant and waterproof which real rattan doesn't tend to be. Its weatherproof properties mean that it's going to be much more hardy when left outside during the spring and summer months. (That doesn't mean you shouldn't look after it, however!)
3. strengthNow, this next point may come as a surprise to some of you but synthetic rattan is a lot stronger than the real version. This is due to the fact that it is man-made and so doesn't contain those natural fibres that can sometimes be the downfall of authentic rattan. This is another reason that synthetic furniture will last much longer as it is less prone to damage!
4. LightweightThat being said, synthetic rattan furniture is a lot more lightweight than real rattan. You will find it very easy to move it around if you fancy rearranging your garden or the format of your furniture. (Did you know all of our rattan garden furniture sets are completely modular? This means you can customise the layout so your specific preference.)
5. cheaper to buyOf course, it's a no-brainer that an artificial version of a material can be cheaper. This is the same across any industry from wood to fur. However, this can really make a difference to families who might not have the budget for real rattan but would love to achieve that beautiful look in their own garden.
6. maintenanceLike we mentioned earlier, synthetic garden furniture is weatherproof which in turn means it's a lot easier to maintain! Of course, you'll still have to keep an eye on it and clean it every now and then. However, you won't have to worry about it half as much as you would if you had a real rattan furniture set. It's a winner, really!
Let us know your thoughtsAs always, let us know your thoughts in the comments. We're big fans of synthetic rattan here at Lakeland Furniture but of course, we know that there will always be those who prefer the 'real deal'. We'd love to hear what your preference is and the reasons behind those.
February 5, 2018